This is me: take it or leave it

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Its a couples thing

It's hard being single in a society geared towards couples. I've never really been the one to date much or many guys. I've spent most of my adult life (and teenage life for that matter) being single. I haven't been on a date in well over three years (and for those you who know my past with my ex boyfriend-yes that's pretty much singular-we didn't go on many "dates" to begin with). For the longest time this has been a real source of pain and sadness for me. Most of my friends and both my siblings are in relationships. I'm always the odd man out. I struggled with it for years. It took me three years (almost exactly) to come to terms with my singleness. But, I'm happy to say that I have finally embraced it. I've accepted that Jesus is all I need and I can find comfort and fulfillment in Him.
I do believe that God has "the one" out there for me somewhere, but I've stopped looking. I no longer check out every male that I walk past measuring to my impossible to measure up to list of acceptable qualities. I'm just me. Not trying to impress or grab the attention of anyone. God will bring the right man to me when I am ready. And I think the fact that I was looking and longing let God know that I definitely wasn't ready. I still don't think I'm ready. I'm enjoying being me with no pressure. Sure I still feel like the third wheel sometimes, but that's okay. At least I'm still included!
For the longest time I thought that there was something wrong with me. I couldn't figure out what, but always thought it must be something because I'm not even getting attention from guys! Was it my looks, personality, or in the last three years, the fact that I'm a single mother. What was it about me that obviously was turning guys away? I finally realized that it's not me. Sure there are things wrong with me-I'm not perfect-but that's not what was keeping guys away. God just knew it wasn't the right time and he didn't want me going from guy to guy to guy. He wanted me to become closer to Him and learn about myself. He wanted me to be ready before he even put prospects into my path.
Who knows what will happen next. Whether I'll stay single until I'm 30 or be married by this time next year. I'm going to love being me and having me and my daughter as a full family. Our family may grow, it may not. Either way, I'm satisfied, content, and happy. I know some of you are out there saying "It's about time!"

4 Comments:

  • At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you! I think contentment is one of the hardest things for the Lord to show us. Single, married, with kids or without, good jobs or bad we are always saying, "If only I had . . . then I could be happy." There is peace in trusting the Lord with it all!

     
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger delilah said…

    I got a little teared up while reading this...I know I am corny! But, I think low self esteem is something most people have dealt with at some point. I was thinking it would be a good topic for praiZ. And you are correct. Things seem to be geared towards couples or getting to be a couple. I will tell you this...when I gave up, I mean really gave up, I met Jake. I am not saying that will happen )and it seems like you are okay with that right now). But that is what happpened with me. Good blog. I'll keep reading.

     
  • At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can definitely relate..
    I did not meet Jennifer until I was 30! I always thought maybe something was wrong with my social skills or my looks or just wasn't interesting enough!!

    Trust me God makes us in his image so that makes you pretty valuable!!

     
  • At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow. you do not know how happy i am to have read that post...and i'd rather tell you why in person.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home