This is me: take it or leave it

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

I'm in training!

That's right....I'm in training for my first 4 mile race. It's on June 22 at 7pm right here in Wadsworth. It's during Blue Tip week (don't ask...you have to live in or be from Wadsworth to know what it is....I still don't get the point.....it's some festival thing with a parade filled with pick up trucks). If you really want to know, check out the website www.bluetipfestival.com Anyways...I have already signed up for the Match Stick 4 mile run. It should be interesting. This will be my first race since 7th grade! I did the "Turkey trot" at Jennings Middle School so I could get out of class. I didn't do too bad. I was like the 12th girl in my grade to finish.

Well, today was my first day of training. I found a schedule on line yesterday that I had to modify from a 5K to a 4 mile and from 6 weeks to 4 1/2. It's hanging up on my fridge with stickers next to it so I can put a sticker after I finish....I know....like a little kid's rewards chart. But hey, it works ;) Yesterday was a "rest" day on the schedule, so I got a sticker! Today was 2 miles. Well, instead of getting my butt out of bed this morning, I said I'd just do it after work to "unwind". HA! Work was tiring today! I was beat, so my "run" was more of a walk/jog/run for a minute/walk. I kept a good pace even when I was walking though. I would have done so much better if it wasn't at the end of a long day. It took me just under 32 minutes. Kinda sad, but my starting point! Although I think my treadmill speed and distance counters are off. When I was out of shape jogging at UA on top of the line equipment, I could WALK at over 4 miles an hour comfortably. On this one, 4 mph is almost full out medium paced jog. I could jog at 5mph at UA and at home that is a run-a tough one. I know I'm not that much worse off now than I was. I even noticed the difference when I was still working out at UA regularly and then at home off and on. It's crazy. I need a pedometer.
My goal for this is to finish and enjoy it. I honestly don't care how long it takes me, as long as I finish and it feel like it was worth it. I'm already excited about the free T-shirt! Another goal I have is to get 5 people to join me. I already have 1 signed up for sure and another who said she'd do it and one person on the fence about it (who wouldn't want to run with me? Besides the fact that i would slow down anyone who has ever -maybe even never-run before?) So, join me!! Here's the site to sign up https://www.signmeup.com/site/reg/register.aspx?fid=GZ2VJK7...it does cost $18 which goes to some charity so they say....and I will be having anyone over to my place afterwards for food and fun. Let me know if you're interested! It's gonna be fun....most of the fun will be watching me look like a fool trying to run, but hey....fun is fun, right?
Well, for now, I'm going to unwind by putting my sticker on my training schedule and watching a few episodes of "Nip/Tuck"; my newest guilty pleasure ;)
And don't forget Relay for Life June 2 9am-June 3 9am at Hudson High School track! It'll be good practice for the Match Stick race! Hope to see everyone at both!!! Oh, and the Stow Firecracker 4 mile run on July 4th! More about that later.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:03 AM, Blogger delilah said…

    I don't think I will be joining you for this one. I don't think when you are 8 months pregnant is an appropriate time to start "training". And I would look really funny. ha ha ha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home